I nearly cried today during Writing Workshop. And for the most part, I'm not an emotional basket case, especially on the happy side. In other words, I was almost moved to tears because I had the chance to pause and really take in what was happening around the classroom. And to me {and to no one else}, this was magical.
I am living my dream. Ok, I've said that before, but it is such a nice thing to be able to say. How many people say that?
See, I looked around the room as I sat and worked with Olivia. And my students were being writers. They worked in partners and individually, scattered around the room. They actually were talking about their writing work. They were actually being self-directed learners.
And, for a moment, I turned my attention to two boys who were lying on their stomachs on the carpet. One boy, a tough guy who likes to finish fast and get things over with, was carefully listening to his partner's story as he read it aloud. And he offered suggestions about what to add or make clearer. Oh, my heart was so very happy.
More than the fact that everyone was working hard was the fact that everyone was working together. Some chose partners I never would have expected them too. And another tough guy, Jimmy, is no longer shunned by the rest of the boys. Instead, they want to be his partner. They are starting to see all his good qualities {because there are many} despite the fact that last year his classmates tried to stay away from him.
In other words, I saw God working through my students today. And I was able to pause long enough to see that they are learning to get along; they are learning the importance of working with others; and most importantly, they are learning what it means to be an important member of a community {of learners}. That's the moral of this teaching-rocks-my-socks-off story.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hi there!!:)
ReplyDeletewhat a great story and a great moment for you!
those are the times in teaching that you grab hold of tightly to carry you through the "not so great moments" that can sometimes sneak up on you.
glad you are living your dream. and you are right, very few people can say that. i said it while teaching...and i'm saying it now home with these three.:)
have a happy day
This is awesome! I am so happy for you and so proud of you! Your students are learning because they have the best teacher in the world :)
ReplyDeleteI positively love moments like this one you describe. When everything is working in harmony and you can see the actual learning take place in that moment. I also love that they were working with each other because I think it's classrooms like yours that lead to a kinder planet. I am so proud of you for what you make a reality in your classroom and I am so joyful that you are living your dream. We are so blessed.
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome!!! Love this post!
ReplyDeleteThere is just nothing better than being in a moment that is "living a dream". :) I am so, so, so thrilled for you. And what a beautiful community of learners you have created. You have set the tone. You have been encouraging, accepting, inclusive and kind...your students are merely mirroring you. So grateful you had that magical moment to pause and really see it. Wow! ~Beth
ReplyDelete