Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dear Class,

You are the perfect class.  My first year!  I can't believe it.  Will I say this every year?  I can't imagine I will.  No one can top you.  Really.

Today when the dice to my "very expensive math game" went missing, and I promptly closed the math games rotation, and then Stuart Little found them in another box and the games rotation was re-opened, and then everyone started shouting at Stuart "You are amazing!" "Way to go!" "Stu-art! Stu-art! Stu-art!" I didn't even flinch that we were "supposed to be" doing math.  I love math.  Really, I do!  But there's more to life than math.

If you learn anything this year, I hope that it is that you can make a difference.  I saw that today.  Stuart made a difference and then everyone proceeded to make a difference in his life by celebrating him and the important part of the class he is.  It was simple. It was unplanned. It was amazing.  If my principal had come in while I was in the middle of pumping my fist in the air and joining in the "Stu-art" chant, I have no doubt I would have been worried--frozen even.  But looking back, I wouldn't have changed what I did for one second.  Stuart has always had trouble with confidence.  And it's looking like it's gaining...a lot...and this is yet another reason you, my dear first class ever, are the perfect class.

You argue. You get "solution forms."  Your reading grades are not what they used to be.  But here's a secret....I don't care about that.  Well, I do kinda because I want you to learn and always get along, but really, I want you to learn to love each other, care for others, grow a little each day, and learn to love learning.  To have a thirst for knowledge.  How can I relay this message to you?  How I can I ever describe to you how teaching is the best part of my day everyday?  How can I ever make a difference in someone's life like all thirty-four of you have made in mine?  I dread the end of the year.  Today was another gem of an in-betweener.  Nothing exciting. Nothing breathtaking. Monotony.  An English Adjective/Adverb test. A thermometer math lesson. A reading circle introduction to vocabulary words. Reading Aloud Winn-Dixie.  It was all so boring.   

And yet so, so, so good--dare I say, it was a perfect day?  That's the moral of this story, class.  You rock my socks off and always will be the perfect class.  Thanks for being you.

                                                                                                   Your biggest fan, 
                                                                                                   Teacher Girl

2 comments:

  1. You know that your class feels the same way about you. :-)

    You are a fabulous teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Katie!! I love it, and i totally would've suggested a chest bump for stewie but glad the fist pump worked to! I love reading about your class!!

    ReplyDelete