I ended up loving parent-teacher conferences. The last parent teacher conference today may have been my absolute favorite. The student is wonderful. He loves school, does well, is social, but has self-control. We started with a unique positive about each student.
For him? We told his parents that he LOVES his family. LOVES, LOVES, LOVES, them--talks about them all the time, is protective of them, is extra happy when he is around them. It's rare, I think, for a 3rd grader to love and be so proud of his family like he is. His mom beamed with pride, and his dad said he needs to remain humble about his accomplishments. This is a truly great family, I thought. To top it off, his mom said he never asks for something for his birthday or Christmas. I was floored. I know {myself included} dozens of kids who have Christmas lists a mile long. It's people {even kids} like him who put it into perspective.
What is really important?
So, let's focus on that for a minute...
I am grateful my brother & his roommates are safe, after returning home to a broken-in house last night. I dislike it greatly when people are mean and cruel. This was mean and cruel, but I am so glad he is ok.
I'm also happy that basketball season has started. There are few things I like talking about with my dad more than strategies for my brother's coach to use in the next game....if only he wanted our advice...
All the parents of all my students came to conferences. I know dozens of teachers who have been teaching for many, many years and have yet to have perfect attendance at conferences. These parents care more than anything about their kids. It warms my heart. I wish a family could adopt and love and care for Crayon Boy. I still worry about him. And J-girl too.
The moral of the story is: putting things into perspective is always a good thing, even if it takes an 8 year old student teaching his teacher this.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment